Progress Rail Services Corp. Machining Trainee in Winston Salem, North Carolina
Auto req ID: 3126BR
Posting Title: Machining Trainee
Job Category: Manufacturing/Operations
City: Winston Salem
State: North Carolina
Alternative Work Location: Winston Salem NC
Progress Rail, a Caterpillar company, is an integrated rolling stock and infrastructure provider, delivering a full range of products and services to domestic and international railroad customers. Our customers enjoy one-stop shopping and comprehensive cradle-to-grave railway solutions - whether it rolls on the rail or is the rail itself. From locomotives, transit, freight cars and engines, to tracks, signals and advanced technology, we ensure customers can count on us to meet all their rail needs. Forging the bridge between ideas and success, our talented and innovative team members work together to address the challenges of the rail industry today, ensuring success for the future. As part of a vibrant, global network of business operations, each and every member of our team is important to our success. With headquarters in Albertville, Ala., more than 7,000 dedicated employees serve customers through a network of close to 150 locations around the world. For more information, visit www.progressrail.com and follow @Progress_Rail on Twitter and YouTube.
Wash, deburr, sets up, operate and adjust machines and equipment in a computer controlled and manual machining environment while supporting machining leads to meet production requirements.
Key Job Elements
•Setup, operate and adjust all machine tools to perform all cutting tool maintenance.
•Clean and 5S workstation to meet housekeeping standards.
•Perform manual tasks such as, deburr, wash and inspection of incoming and outgoing work.
•Perform quality inspections, chart quality data and monitor quality trends. This will require extensive problem solving skills to properly assess and compensate for variations due to incoming part quality, process variations, process changes, engineering changes and part shortages.
•Diagnose malfunctions and perform adjustments or to non-conforming parts.
•Support machining operations in various shop labor related tasks.
•Utilize fixtures & templates.
•Perform machining and manual operations using standard work documents, blueprints, safe job procedures, and visual aids.
•Perform rework without standard work documents as needed.
•Participate in continuous improvement initiatives and provide feedback in areas of quality, safety, velocity, and cost.
•Maintain and conduct preventive maintenance on machines. Check air pressures, oil levels and perform minimal maintenance to correct issues.
•Transport materials with crane, power pusher, or electric pallet jack.
•Expectation is all tasks are to be conducted in a 100% safe manner.
Education / Training
• Requires high school diploma or GED;
• Technical degree or Certificate in Machining.
Qualifications and Experience
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required to perform the essential functions of the job:
• PC literate, Blue Print Reading, Geometry and/or trigonometry experience required;
• Must be able to work in a team environment, be a self-starter and demonstrate strong initiative;
• Must be a self-starter with the ability to demonstrate strong initiative. Capable of interpreting technical instructions, dealing with large degrees of variation with part and process consistency while delivering the highest levels of quality components.
• While performing the duties of this job, the employee will be working near moving mechanical parts, overhead cranes and lift truck traffic.
The physical demands described below are representative of those that must be met successfully to perform the essential functions of the job:.
• Requires long periods of standing, reaching and using hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls;
• Requires frequent walking up and down floor to platforms; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl inside the product as required;
• Must be able to frequently lift and/or move up to 35 pounds;
• Metatarsal safety shoes are required as well as safety glasses.
Progress Rail Services Corporation and its subsidiary and affiliate companies offer an excellent total compensation package* including competitive salary, 401(k) plan with company match, available medical/dental/life/disability insurance coverage and paid vacation and holidays. Relocation assistance may be available for some positions.
*Benefits eligibility differs by job position and employment status - governing plan documents control such benefits..
Equal Opportunity Employer – Race/Color/Sex/Religion/National Origin/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Vets/Disabilities