Progress Rail Services Corp. Machinist I in Winston Salem, North Carolina
Auto req ID: 3257BR
Posting Title: Machinist I
Job Category: Manufacturing/Operations
City: Winston Salem
State: North Carolina
Alternative Work Location: Winston Salem NC
Progress Rail, a Caterpillar company, is an integrated rolling stock and infrastructure provider, delivering a full range of products and services to domestic and international railroad customers. Our customers enjoy one-stop shopping and comprehensive cradle-to-grave railway solutions - whether it rolls on the rail or is the rail itself. From locomotives, transit, freight cars and engines, to tracks, signals and advanced technology, we ensure customers can count on us to meet all their rail needs. Forging the bridge between ideas and success, our talented and innovative team members work together to address the challenges of the rail industry today, ensuring success for the future. As part of a vibrant, global network of business operations, each and every member of our team is important to our success. With headquarters in Albertville, Ala., more than 7,000 dedicated employees serve customers through a network of close to 150 locations around the world. For more information, visit www.progressrail.com and follow @Progress_Rail on Twitter and YouTube.
Sets up, operates and adjusts all machines and equipment in a computer controlled manufacturing system equipped with a supervisory control which integrates all machine controllers and programmable controllers within the system. Will also lead team in machining operations with responsibility for problem solving and escalation needed to meet customer order and business requirements.
Key Job Elements
• Perform machining operations using standard work documents, blueprints, safe job procedures, and visual aids within Takt time. This will require extensive problem solving skills to properly assess and compensate for variations due to incoming part quality, process variations, process changes, engineering changes and part shortages;
• Performs quality inspections, charts quality data. Monitor quality trends. This will require extensive problem solving skills to properly assess and compensate for variations due to incoming part quality, process variations, process changes, engineering changes and part shortages;
• Assist production supervisor in scheduling manufacturing cells;
• Review machine analytics and conduct RCCA to improve machine in-cycle time;
• Update team metrics and production goals;
• Determine work cell priorities;
• Solve team problems using advanced problem solving techniques;
• Escalate issues to production supervisor as needed;
• Lead team in problem solving activities;
• Perform rework without standard work documents as needed;
• Participate in and lead continuous improvement initiatives and provide feedback in areas of quality, safety, velocity, and cost;
• Maintain and conduct preventive maintenance on machines. Check air pressures, oil levels and perform minimal maintenance to correct issues;
• Transport very heavy loads with crane, power pusher, or electric pallet jack;
• Drive 5S adherence and complete 5S audits;
• Lead and participate in 5packs for safety investigations;
• Conduct Standard Work audits;
• Drive adherence to start -of-shift checklists;
• Cross train and ensure that operator training is conducted in a timely fashion.
Education / Training
• Requires high school diploma or GED and/or Technical degree or Certificate in Machining.
Qualifications and Experience
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required to perform the essential functions of the job:
• PC literate, Blue Print Reading, Geometry and/or trigonometry experience required;
• Extensive problem solving skills required;
• Must be able to lead a team in a production environment;
• Must be a self-starter and ability to demonstrate strong initiative. Capable of interpreting technical instructions, dealing with large degrees of variation with part and process consistency while delivering the highest levels of quality components;
• While performing the duties of this job, the employee will be working near moving mechanical parts, overhead cranes and lift truck traffic.
The physical demands described below are representative of those that must be met successfully to perform the essential functions of the job:
• Requires long periods of standing, reaching and using hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls;
• Requires frequent walking up and down floor to platforms; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl inside the product as required;
• Must be able to frequently lift and/or move up to 35 pounds;
• Metatarsal safety shoes are required as well as safety glasses.
Progress Rail Services Corporation and its subsidiary and affiliate companies offer an excellent total compensation package* including competitive salary, 401(k) plan with company match, available medical/dental/life/disability insurance coverage and paid vacation and holidays. Relocation assistance may be available for some positions.
*Benefits eligibility differs by job position and employment status - governing plan documents control such benefits..
Equal Opportunity Employer – Race/Color/Sex/Religion/National Origin/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Vets/Disabilities