Progress Rail Services Corp. Machinist II in Winston Salem, North Carolina
Auto req ID: 3102BR
Posting Title: Machinist II
Job Category: Manufacturing/Operations
City: Winston Salem
State: North Carolina
Alternative Work Location: Winston Salem NC
Progress Rail, a Caterpillar company, is an integrated rolling stock and infrastructure provider, delivering a full range of products and services to domestic and international railroad customers. Our customers enjoy one-stop shopping and comprehensive cradle-to-grave railway solutions - whether it rolls on the rail or is the rail itself. From locomotives, transit, freight cars and engines, to tracks, signals and advanced technology, we ensure customers can count on us to meet all their rail needs. Forging the bridge between ideas and success, our talented and innovative team members work together to address the challenges of the rail industry today, ensuring success for the future. As part of a vibrant, global network of business operations, each and every member of our team is important to our success. With headquarters in Albertville, Ala., more than 7,000 dedicated employees serve customers through a network of close to 150 locations around the world. For more information, visit www.progressrail.com and follow @Progress_Rail on Twitter and YouTube.
• Set up, operate and adjust all machines and equipment in a computer controlled manufacturing system equipped with a supervisory control which integrates all machine controllers and programmable controllers within the system;
• May also be required to operate manual machines such as lathes and grinders.
Key Job Elements
• Setup, operate and adjust all machine tools to perform all cutting tool maintenance;
• Performs quality inspections, charts quality data and monitor quality trends. Diagnose malfunctions and perform adjustments or repairs to manufactured products to meet quality standards;
• This role also requires excellent problem identification, diagnostic skills, communication and teamwork to ensure component quality levels while have direct control of key aspects of component quality. These skills will be required multiple times a day and must be handled rapidly and accurately in order to avoid potential warranty claims that could exceed $100,000;
• Perform machining operations using standard work documents, blueprints, safe job procedures, and visual aids within Takt time. Some rework may be performed without standard work documents as needed;
• Participate in continuous improvement initiatives and provide feedback in areas of quality, safety, velocity, and cost;
• Maintain and conduct preventive maintenance on machines. Check air pressures, oil levels and perform minimal maintenance to correct issues;
• Assist in scheduling manufacturing cells & utilize fixtures & templates;
• Transport very heavy loads with crane, power pusher, or electric pallet jack;
• Expectation is all tasks are to be conducted in a 100% safe manner.
Education / Training
• Requires high school diploma or GED;
• Technical degree or Certificate in Machining or up to 3 years of experience in CNC Machining required.
Qualifications and Experience
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required to perform the essential functions of the job:
• PC literate, Blue Print Reading, Geometry and/or trigonometry experience required;
• Must be able to work in a team environment, be a self-starter and demonstrate strong initiative;
• Leadership skills desired;
• Must be capable of interpreting technical instructions, dealing with large degrees of variation with part and process consistency while delivering the highest levels of quality components;
• While performing the duties of this job, the employee will be working near moving mechanical parts, overhead cranes and lift truck traffic.
The physical demands described below are representative of those that must be met successfully to perform the essential functions of the job:.
• Requires long periods of standing, reaching and using hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls;
• Requires frequent walking up and down floor to platforms; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl inside the product as required;
• Must be able to frequently lift and/or move up to 35 pounds;
• Metatarsal safety shoes are required as well as safety glasses.
Progress Rail Services Corporation and its subsidiary and affiliate companies offer an excellent total compensation package* including competitive salary, 401(k) plan with company match, available medical/dental/life/disability insurance coverage and paid vacation and holidays. Relocation assistance may be available for some positions.
*Benefits eligibility differs by job position and employment status - governing plan documents control such benefits..
Equal Opportunity Employer – Race/Color/Sex/Religion/National Origin/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Vets/Disabilities